Apply by April 7th
The Hampton Bays Public Library is seeking a motivated, progressive, enthusiastic full-time Children’s Librarian. Our ideal candidate is warm and friendly, loves children’s literature, and is as excited as we are about working with children birth to 6th grade, families, and caregivers.
- Provide reference services and reader’s advisory to children, parents, and caregivers. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the public to achieve specific goals and objectives of the department.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently and productively.
- Plan and facilitate programs for children and parents/caregivers, which encourage early literacy skills and the use of library facilities and materials, as well as programs that build relationships with local venues such as museums, farms, etc.
- Provide outreach to schools and community organizations that serve children and families.
- Prepare materials to publicize the services and resources of the Children’s department.
- Working knowledge of library computer software systems and ability to problem solve and troubleshoot.
- Maintain awareness of trends in children services and issues affecting children. ∙ Attend professional meetings and participate in library organizations.
- Manage department social media.
- Promote the use of the collection; acquiring familiarity with collection, creating bibliographies, and help develop programs that promote the use of library resources.
- Record monthly statistics.
- Supervise pages and clerks by creating their schedules and tasks.
- Reports to the Head of Children’s and Parent Services.
Education Requirements and Minimal Qualifications
Librarian: MLS or MLIS from an ALA accredited library school.
Trainee: Currently enrolled in an ALA accredited library school.
Experience in a Public Library’s Children’s Department preferred.
Librarian—starting at $51,000 + competitive benefits package
Librarian Trainee—salary commensurate with credits completed
To be considered for this position, please email resume by April 7, 2023 to:
Christine Fitzgerald, Head of Children’s and Parent Services
Hampton Bays Public Library
52 Ponquogue Avenue, Hampton Bays, NY 11946