The Freeport Memorial Library located in the Village of Freeport, Nassau County, New York is seeking a full-time Librarian Trainee. The Library serves an ethnically diverse population of close to 40,000 people.
Requirements: Candidate must be enrolled in an ALA-accredited institution. Spanish speaking a plus. Freeport resident preferred. Nassau County residency required.
The ideal candidate will be a friendly, approachable, customer service orientated, forward thinking individual with an unshakable positive attitude.
Skills and abilities should include:
• Knowledge of and comfort with computer technology and on-line database systems. • Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to think critically to understand the needs of library users.
• Ability to function as a team member in the planning and implementation of projects. • Ability to work independently.
• Tact and courtesy in dealing with staff and the public.
• Providing reference and readers advisory services to library users of all ages, but position is in the Youth Services Department.
• Planning and implementing programming with a primary focus on Children’s and Teen programs, including story time programs, class visits, book discussions, etc. • Developing and conducting innovative programs under the direction of the Head of Youth Services.
• Evaluation, acquisition, and selection of library materials.
• Forming and maintaining positive work relationships with coworkers, library users and community organizations.
Two nights and every third Saturday availability is required.
Starting salary range: $34,500 plus benefits.
Email a cover letter and resume to:
Attn: Ms. Roseann Podias
Mr. Jason Velarde