The Cold Spring Harbor Library seeks a part time librarian or trainee for our Youth Services Department.
Cold Spring Harbor Library welcomes applications for a part-time librarian/trainee opening in the Youth Services Department, specializing in services for children from birth to grade 12. Candidates must possess or be in the process of earning an MLIS and Youth Services certificate from an accredited university.
We are looking for an energetic, enthusiastic, service-oriented, self-motivated individual to assist us in bringing traditional and innovative services to children from the Cold Spring Harbor, Lloyd Harbor, Lloyd Neck and Laurel Hollow community. This position is for approximately 20 hours per week but is subject to change according to the library's scheduling needs. Days and weekend rotation (1 Saturday and 1 Sunday) required with possible evening coverage.
The ideal candidate will be:
- Working towards or already possess a Master's Degree in Library and Informational Science with a focus on Youth Services
- Flexible, creative, patient, and enthusiastic about developing innovative programming and services for children from birth to grade 12
- Experienced in working with children and teens, preferably in a library setting
- Aware of trends and issues in children's and teen library services
- Interested and practiced in crafting & making, & graphic design
- Assisting in the planning and execution of diverse programming for students from birth to grade 12
- Helping to create an environment that attracts and invites children, parents, teens & tweens to utilize collections by using bibliographies, book displays, and other visual elements
- Aiding in various collection development projects in all sections of the children's library & in separate teen & tween sections including ordering, weeding, and series maintenance
- Performing public service duties as needed, assisting patrons with automated databases and other equipment as needed
- Performing other tasks as assigned
The Cold Spring Harbor Library and Environmental Center is an Association Library and does not participate in the New York State Retirement System or in Suffolk County Civil Service.
The Cold Spring Harbor Library and Environmental Center provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Please send resume, cover letter, and three references by June 10th to:
Diane Scinta Assistant Director and Manager of Youth Services email@example.com