DEPARTMENT: YOUTH SERVICES
POSITION TITLE: ASSISTANT PROGRAM SUPERVISOR
REPORTS TO: YOUTH SERVICES COORDINATOR
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Manages daily operations, performs complex office work, and conducts special projects related to the activities of youth services.
1. Updates information and databases on Youth Services webpages, blogs, and the Youth Services section of the Gateway, including electronic versions of memorandum and database lists.
2. Creates, maintains, and updates email distribution lists for children and YA librarians.
3. Creates and moderates youth services kits in SCLS Lending Library.
4. Collects, records, and compiles statistical information.
5. Organizes financial information, creates purchase orders based on YS Coordinator and YS Consultant orders.
6. Prepares memoranda and other correspondence for electronic and physical distribution, as generated by the YS Consultant and YS Coordinator.
7. Answers the telephone, answers basic departmental questions and refers appropriate calls to the YS Consultant or the YS Coordinator.
8. Retrieves, circulates, and maintains requested materials.
9. Plans and executes the annual Performers' Showcase with supervision of YS Coordinator.
10. Maintains the electronic program resource files for the county as well as the Long Island division of the NYS Performer’s Database.
11. Maintains and adds information supplied by the YS Consultant or YS Coordinator to the department’s social media sites.
12. Prepares and oversees projects for youth services support staff.
1. Assumes responsibilities for activities of the department in absence of the Coordinator & Consultant.
2. Schedules meetings using online registration software.
3. Creates and organizes materials for events such as the Battle of the Books, Youth Services workshops, symposia, etc.
4. Creates and sends packets for Hospital Program as needed to libraries participating in this monthly visitation program.
5. Maintains and provides access to a review collection of new books from publishers, pertaining to Youth Services.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Ability to understand and carry out complex oral and written instructions.
2. Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including Publisher, Excel, and Access.
3. Demonstrated working knowledge of the County OPAC and Live-brary.com.
4. Good knowledge of English grammar, punctuation, and spelling
5. Good organizational abilities and capable of maintaining and keeping accurate records.
6. Ability to work independently with interruptions and to complete work by a designated deadline.
7. Ability to deal courteously with staff and the public in person or by telephone.
8. Ability to maintain Wordpress, Blogger, or other websites for Battle of the Books, Performer’s Showcase, and Authors Unlimited.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
1. Bachelor of Arts or equivalent education.
2. Demonstrated experience with computer hardware and software applications.
3. Any equivalent combination of experience and training sufficient to indicate the ability to complete assigned tasks.
1. Experience in a Youth Services department of a public library.
Please submit cover letter and resume to Human Resources Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) attention: Teri Hatred, by 12:00pm on Friday, February 21, 2020.