JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Outreach & Partnership Specialist
We are seeking a passionate, self-starting, "people-person" with strong collaborative skills to engage libraries and community partners in the expansion of inclusive library services. The Nassau Library System is a cooperative library system that serves the 54 public libraries in Nassau County, NY. This is an excellent career opportunity for a progressive librarian who wants to make a difference.
● Encourages member library staff and stakeholders to develop services in support of state-specified target populations, including senior citizens, ethnic and language minorities, persons with disabilities, those who are educationally disadvantaged, the unemployed and underemployed, and individuals residing in institutions
● Initiates and maintains active relationships with agencies serving and advocating for vulnerable populations and underserved communities in order to foster partnership, promote collaboration, and broaden awareness of library services
● Provides consultation services, continuing education, and other means of support and encouragement for member library efforts to reflect the changing demographics and increasing diversity of their communities in their collections and services
● Facilitates the development and continuous improvement of communication across channels connecting NLS, member libraries, community stakeholders, library users, and other audiences
● Serves individuals incarcerated at the Nassau County Correctional Facility by conducting programs, including a weekly book club, and coordinating the acquisition of library materials
● Represent Nassau libraries and coordinate member library involvement at community events
● MLS from an ALA-accredited library school and at least three (3) years of relevant experience working with vulnerable populations
● Track record of developing and maintaining community partnerships
● Past success developing and delivering engaging presentations, facilitating meetings, and training diverse audiences
● Excellent verbal, written, and visual communication skills, with the ability to tailor messages to target audiences
● Demonstrated commitment to customer service and fair provision of services
● Able to work effectively individually and in a team-based environment
Compensation & Benefits Starting salary $68,000-$75,000 depending on relevant experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits. NLS is not subject to Civil Service. This position is part of the collective bargaining unit. Professional involvement encouraged and supported.
Apply Send your resume with a cover letter to the attention of Nicole Scherer, Assistant Director, Nassau Library System, at email@example.com. Preference will be given to applications received by December 20, 2019, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled.