Open Until Filled
The full-time Facilities & Delivery Assistant works under the direction of the Facilities & Delivery Manager to ensure the building and grounds are properly prepared for employees and guests; support the shipping, mailing, and receiving of materials; perform hands-on maintenance services and coordinate maintenance with vendors as needed; and assist with emergency preparedness procedures. Anticipated starting schedule is 8:45AM-4:45PM, Monday-Friday.
- Receives and sorts incoming mail, deliveries, and library materials; Delivers internal mail
- Performs meeting set-up and tear-down
- Assists the Facilities & Delivery Manager in maintaining the facility, building and grounds and all equipment including fixed assets; mechanical systems; vehicles; business equipment; security and emergency equipment; cleaning, housekeeping, and equipment supplies; etc.
- Schedules service calls, communicates with vendors, and participates in vendor meetings
- Responds to custodial cleaning and pest control situations as necessary
- Maintains supply inventory; reorders and restocks as necessary
- Knows and follows safety and security procedures, educates colleagues on emergency preparedness, and reports any safety hazards to the Facilities & Delivery Manager
- Troubleshoots emergencies and equipment problems
- Coordinates and carries out deliveries and pick-ups of materials and supplies as needed; Drives NLS vehicles as assigned; Runs errands as assigned
- Opens and closes the building as directed
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Customer-service focused, with at least 1 year of experience serving internal or external customers; Facilities experience a plus
- Willingness and ability to learn and grow skillset
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with clean driving record
- Evening and weekend work as required
- May be required to use personal auto with mileage reimbursement
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs and stand for long periods of time
Starting salary $45,000-$50,000, depending on relevant qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits, including participation in the NY State pension system and health insurance program.
Send your resume with a cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should describe how your experience and abilities are specifically related to the requirements and responsibilities of this position.
The review of applications will begin on March 28, 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
NLS is one of 23 public library systems in NY State. We are a cooperative library system, meaning that our 54 member libraries are autonomous, supported by local taxes, and governed by their own boards of trustees. We are essentially a consortium. Our service area is Nassau County on Long Island. All public libraries in the county are members of NLS.
NLS is an equal opportunity employer.
This is a union position covered by a collective bargaining agreement. NLS is not subject to Civil Service.