Apply by March 31
The Suffolk Cooperative Library System (SCLS) seeks an experienced collection development professional to join the Member Services Department as our Electronic Resources Librarian.
The Member Services Department provides a variety of support services to the public libraries in Suffolk County. The Electronic Resources Librarian is responsible for providing and maintaining access to electronic resources and digital collections for both member library staff and Suffolk County public library patron use. With an annual budget of over $6 million dollars the Electronic Resources Librarian curates all electronic content for Livebrary.com.
The candidate must have a Master’s Degree in Library Science (MLS/MLIS) and at least three years of collection development/acquisitions supervisory experience. The successful candidate will have a thorough knowledge of electronic/digital resources and the licensing and legal framework in which they reside. Trend analysis, technical support and access troubleshooting are essential functions of this position.
SCLS is a 56-member public library system in Suffolk County, NY. We are a supportive employer with opportunities to learn and grow in this position. Minimum starting salary for this position is $63,410 (but negotiable based on experience) as well as a generous benefits package. Please see the attached job description for details.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Suffolk Cooperative Library System Human Resources Office at email@example.com by Friday, March 31, 2023.
DEPARTMENT: MEMBER SERVICES
POSITION TITLE: REPORTS TO: ELECTRONIC RESOURCES LIBRARIAN ASSISTANT DIRECTOR
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Working with the Member Services Section Supervisor and Assistant Director, the Electronic Resources Librarian will provide and maintain access to electronic resources and digital collections. Electronic Resources includes, but is not limited to databases, downloadable media, digital content, journals, and historic newspapers.
1. Oversee the development and integration of electronic resource services and digital collections, responsible for maintaining electronic coordinated order contracts, and connectivity for SCLS and member libraries.
2. Maintaining a thorough knowledge of electronic resource acquisitions.
3. Maintaining a thorough knowledge of licensing and the legal framework in which it takes place and a commitment to maintain awareness of trends and ongoing developments in areas related to the entire life cycle of electronic resources/digital content.
4. Provides troubleshooting, technical support, and training to member libraries and SCLS staff. Consults with member library staff on serving patrons using electronic resources and services.
5. Attends local, regional and national meetings/conferences and reports back to SCLS and member libraries to ensure that Suffolk libraries remain in the forefront of electronic library services.
6. Verifies and signs department-related vendor invoices.
7. Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
1. Ability to collect, analyze, manipulate, and provide meaningful interpretation of data using relational databases, spreadsheet and word processing programs, and other tools.
2. Possesses a broad understanding (or ability to acquire such understanding) of the electronic resources subscribed to by the organization and the ability to examine and evaluate current and potential purchases in objective and user-centered ways.
3. Excellent organizational, time management, negotiation, and problem-solving skills.
4. Communicates effectively, promptly, and consistently, verbally and in writing, with a broad range of audiences: users, colleagues and staff, subscription agents, and vendors.
5. Demonstrates skillful project management, particularly the ability to initiate and complete projects in a timely and independent manner.
6. Knowledge of ILS platforms and authentication methods.
7. Ability to make Sustainable work-related decisions.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
1. MLS Degree from an ALA-accredited institution.
2. A NYS Public Librarian’s Professional Certificate.
3. 3-years of professional library experience.