Publications Office Specialist
Job ID 3173
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Research Library is part of the Information Resource Management section of the Information Technology Division (ITD) which reports to the CIO and ITD reports to the Directors Office. ITD provides the following three main disciplines that represent Information Resource Management: The Research Library, BNL Publications Office, and Records Management.
The Research Library offers a wide selection of resources supporting BNL's multidisciplinary research. The BNL Research Library promotes world class research by providing access to scientific information resources. The Research Library is recognized as a key contributor to Brookhaven National Laboratory’s research mission. By making scientific and technical information readily accessible, the Research Library supports the efficient an effective performance of the Laboratory’s Scientists, Engineers and BNL Staff, thereby enhancing BNL’s ability to meet the needs of sponsors and to attract and maintain highly qualified staff. The Publications Office Specialist will perform Research and reporting on individual or group-level metrics of research impact. The candidate will provide key public services of consultations and instruction, while collaborating with administrators and researchers developing successful publishing and dissemination strategies, managing, or tracking publications, and measuring or assessing research impact through a variety of impact metrics. Sharing the results of research through publications supports scientific collaboration and fosters innovation. The Publications Office Specialist reports to the Research Library, Publications and Records Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Retrieve and deliver information through the use of print and online sources for the BNL community. Ready Reference services and assist with Inter Library Loan and Catalog functions.
- Provide Virtual Ready Reference services via chat, email, and MS Teams.
- Act as a key contributor to the Research Library’s Collection Development team, make recommendations regarding the collection and related services including Interlibrary Loan, document delivery, web content and others.
- Provide technical assistance to users, often resulting in the solution of complex information problems and contributes to the development of Publications and Research Library policies and practices.
- Convene (as needed) Publications Office orientation sessions for new employees, guests and students. Outreach to the research community.
- Perform recurring administrative tasks in support of operation or function (composite Publications Office metrics, compliance reports, processing journals and serials, analyze problems, develop alternatives, and make recommendations, etc.)
- Information research knowledge, Archival and or Library experience. Maintains current knowledge of best practices in academic, or special libraries related to information services.
- Knowledge of scholarly communication and open access publication processes and services.
- Track and Administer BNL publications through review and release using the database.
- Monitor and ensure that BNL and DOE publication submission forms are filled out correctly by departmental scientific and technical contacts.
- Perform Scientific & Technical Information (STI) training, coordinate Publisher workshops and orientation sessions
- Maintain and generate Publications compliance spreadsheets and prepare reports.
- Maintain Publications database and website by making corrections, additions, and deletions.
- Perform other duties as requested.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in a field that utilizes strong research, writing, and information coordination skills.
- Minimum 4 years, Full-time or Part-time contemporary Library experience in a research or academic special library or similar environment to include experience and knowledge of a wide range of library services and operational functions, including cataloging, acquisitions, circulation, interlibrary loan, e-resources, library systems, security, collection management, training, and digital repositories.
- Demonstrated ability to use current technologies for delivering and developing information services, including MS Office applications.
- Must have effective team and project management skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, communication and organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks in a dynamic environment.
- Working knowledge of a range of scholarly activities such as open access.
- Ability to formulate and implement innovative approaches and solutions to problems.
- Must be able to work well with all levels of personnel and work quickly, accurately, and independently.
- Cultural sensibility, with the proven ability to work efficiently and effectively in a multicultural environment.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Masters in Library Science or in related field from an accredited institution.
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development and growth. Maintain awareness of local, national, and international library and information initiatives and best practices through active participation in professional networks including the Special Libraries Association.
- Experience in developing, building and sustaining working partnerships and relationships with researchers and students.
- Experience in supporting science, learning and research across a wide range of users.
- Demonstrated evidence of initiative and flexibility.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, as a leader and team member, with library colleagues.
- Ability to advocate and promote Library and Publications Office resources and services to a variety of constituents.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
Ability to lift, moderate, 15-30 lbs. papers/books
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements including telework/hybrid model;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs;
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis).
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees. Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required at the start of your employment.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file
Please apply online https://jobs.bnl.gov/job/upton/publications-office-specialist/3437/28857633040