The Library Experience Specialist provides direct service to library users as well as performing basic clerical, circulation, technical services, special assignments/projects, and other related tasks as assigned. This is a non-supervisory position, subordinate to the professional librarians. Preference will be given to bilingual (English & Spanish speaking) qualified individuals.
22.5-30 hours week @ $16-$16.25 hourly
- Provides direct service to library users
- Shelves and organizes library materials
- Performs basic circulation tasks such as check in and check out of materials
- Assists patrons in the use of library equipment
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Provide exceptional library user service
- Ensure timely handling of materials
- Performs other duties as assigned
- May perform specialized tasks based on library needs or special qualifications.
Specific Responsibilities of the Job:
- Issues and renews library cards
- Processes holds and performs telephone notifications
- Shelves materials
- Inspects materials for damage and makes recommendations for repair or withdrawal
- Does keyboarding and filing
- Assists with library displays as needed
- Assists in resolving library user disputes
- Communicate regularly with library administration
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
(Note that these requirements are representative, but not all-inclusive, of the knowledge, skill, and ability required to perform this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Knowledge of current library practices
- Knowledge of personal computers and related hardware, electronic mail, the Internet, office software, document imaging, etc.
- Ability to learn computer programs or software and use them effectively to perform duties
- Skill in organizing and prioritizing multiple responsibilities within an assigned
- Ability to handle high volumes of work
- Ability to work with library users in a friendly and tactful manner
- Skill in checking information for accuracy, completeness, and correcting errors
- Ability to excel as a productive and positive team member
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, volunteers, and the public
- Ability to contribute to a positive work culture that fosters excellent library user service and teamwork
Education and Experience:
- Degree or equivalent experience: High School Diploma or equivalent required, some secondary education preferred.
- Years of experience: At least 1 year of customer service experience required. At least 1 year of library experience preferred.
- Specialized training in customer service, library service
- Certification: none
(These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the above-described essential functions.)
- While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to talk and hear.
- The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel.
- The employee is required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, occasionally climb or balance, and to occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Extended periods of repetitive hand work are required.
- Extended periods of sitting and using computers are common.
- Extended periods of standing may be required.
- Extended periods of walking may be required.
- Ability to push or pull up to 100 pounds with mechanical assistance.
- Ability to lift at least 25 pounds, manually.
(While performing the responsibilities of the job, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the job holder will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.)
- The employee may occasionally be exposed to chemicals used in common cleaning products.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate but may occasionally be loud.
- In general, most of the workday will be in an office environment.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
Please email brief letter of interest, resume, and three work or educational references to Brian Mealy, Library Experience Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are hoping the candidate will be able to start sometime in late May, or early June 2022.