The John Jermain Memorial Library, located in historic Sag Harbor, seeks an Executive Director who is a proven collaborator, visionary leader and creative problem solver. The successful candidate will promote the library’s mission with compassion, joy, innovation, flexibility, and a belief in the transformative power of public libraries.
Founded in 1910, the library serves the informational, educational and entertainment needs of patrons and the community through a diverse collection, programs, exhibitions, off-site initiatives, preservation of local content in a variety of formats, and collaborations with schools, businesses, and other cultural institutions.
The ED is responsible for stewardship of the library and its resources with the help of a welcoming and talented staff, a dedicated and ethical Board of Trustees, and an engaged and supportive community. Requirements include:MLS or MLIS degree from an accredited institution;
- New York State Librarian Certification, or eligibility for Certification;
- Administrative, Managerial and Leadership experience through times of change;
- Experience setting and managing a budget;
- Experience creating financial reports for Board review and discussion;
- Experience creating and implementing policy;
- Knowledge of Library law and HR legislation.
- Familiarity with hiring, supervising, and mentoring staff across departments;
- Experience working within the intersection of community and library services;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Successful experience with fundraising, and forging and maintaining donor relations;
- Experience in writing, securing and managing grants;
- A history of commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion;
- A commitment to Intellectual Freedom and the unfettered access to information for all;
- A commitment to professional development and continuing education for self and staff;
- The ability to successfully engage with a diverse and evolving community;
- Experience developing, implementing, and evaluating innovative services.
This fulltime, salaried position requires collaboration with local organizations and public-facing involvement in community events, including weekend and evening hours. Salary range of $130,000-$160,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Benefits include family health insurance through NYSHIP, TIAA CREF retirement plan, paid vacation and sick leave, and a partial-tuition reimbursement program. Please send a resume, the names and contact information for three professional references, and a full letter of application to email@example.com by 10/10/2021.
John Jermain Memorial Library celebrates the multiplicity of opinions and viewpoints that reflect our historic and evolving community. The Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fair employment practices for all individuals, and to maintaining a just, equitable, inclusive and diverse workplace. We warmly welcome applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, nationality or ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, age, or disability.