Molloy College Main Campus, Rockville Centre, NY, US
This position is only scheduled when needed as a substitute for regular staff. Library hours during the academic year when they may be needed are: Monday-Thursday 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM, Friday 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM, Saturday 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Sunday 12:00PM to 8:00PM. Hours vary during the summer and other times when classes are not in session.
May be scheduled during evening or weekend hours.
- The Library Assistant-Patron Services (Substitute) helps students, faculty, and employees of Molloy College with borrowing materials and using the resources of the James E. Tobin Library and performs other tasks to insure the smooth operation of the Library over the course of the day. The ideal candidate has experience working in a patron services/circulation role at an academic institution and is familiar with the Alma integrated library system or another comparable ILS. They are detail oriented, highly organized, able to work independently and as part of a team, and have strong customer service skills for diverse populations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Utilize the integrated library system (ILS) to loan and return library materials, and verify patron information.
- Assist patrons by answering or directing questions pertaining to resources in the Library, on the Molloy campus, as well as outside of Molloy.
- Guide patrons in the use of Library technology, including printers, scanners, microform readers, video players, and the self-check kiosk.
- Perform tasks to prepare the Library for opening and/or closing and to insure the smooth operation of the Library over the course of the day.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree
- 1-3 years of work related experience
- Microsoft Suite (Excel, Outlook, Word)
- Alma or other ILS
Interested applicants should submit the following materials with their application:
RESPONSIBILITY FOR PUBLIC CONTACT
Daily contact requiring courtesy, discretion, and sound judgment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands and fingers to operate, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustration of various types of work that may be preformed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Molloy College, an independent, Catholic college, rooted in the Dominican tradition of study, spirituality, service and community, is committed to academic excellence with respect for each person. Through transformative education, Molloy promotes a lifelong search for truth and the development of ethical leadership.
All Molloy College employees are expected to display an understanding of and a commitment to the College's mission and core values; foster relationships with a spirit of inclusivity, compassion and respect; appreciate and celebrate differences and support a welcoming and hospitable environment that is responsive and helpful to all members of the Molloy community and beyond.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Women, minorities, persons with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Molloy College does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, or military status; in its administration of educational policies, programs or activities; its admissions policies; or in employment practices. Molloy College takes its responsibility seriously to establish an environment in which the dignity and worth of all members of the institutional community are respected. In its effort to provide an optimal learning environment the College seeks the appointment of persons who are highly qualified and whose background is appropriate to fill each vacancy. It is College policy to recruit, employ, retain and promote employees without discrimination regarding sex, race, color, creed, religion, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, national or ethnic origin or physical disability. In selecting for employment, the College is committed to the highest standard of excellence and will select the best qualified candidate. In cases where there are equally qualified candidates for positions, selection will be made from those groups of persons who have been identified by the Federal and State Governments as having been discriminated against in the past.